Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hand Made Signage

Been driving through Medaryville in White Post township on a semi weekly basis. I decided to shoot some of the handmade signs. Medaryville is struggling economically like most of the forgotten towns on US421. Many of the local businesses still paint their own signs. I think this adds some interest and personality to the face of the town. We are so used to seeing big slick machine produced, edited words or corporation logos. Every giant Walmart sign looks like every other giant Walmart sign.

The liquor store owner came out to talk to me. I think he was trying to scare me away at first. But I sweet talked him a bit and complimented his handy work. I said it was more interesting than ugly. He laughed. I said I'd buy some beer but I was on my way to work and wanted to make it there. He said I could take all the pictures I wanted. I should have taken his, but I didn't want to push it.



No comments:

Post a Comment