Tuesday, May 3, 2011

with one stone

I submitted these pieces to a drawing group show at the Purdue Galleries. I marbled this paper about a year ago.  I used water based paints and inks mixed with floating medium.  I applied the paint to a pool of Methocellulose from Dharma Trading co. (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3380-AA.shtml).  I used big round multipurpose paper from Twinrocker Paper mill in Brookston, IN about 30 minutes from my house. The circles are about 20 inches in diameter. (http://www.twinrocker.com/

I marbled the paper in  kiddie pools in my garage. I basically made large vats of slime. (Disposal of the slime was tricky.) The methocellulose is thick like pudding and is used in some food products.  I used dish soap as a dispersant on the surface of the methocellulose. The dispersant allowed me to exploit the natural patterns created by the chemical reaction.  I don't think the cell-like patterns are desirable in traditional paper marbling but that pattern was what attracted me to the medium.   Under the marbling I painted simple watercolor shapes accentuated by a salt dusting that created some patterns and texture.  The final layer includes pastel and color pencil outline drawings of birds.  




No comments:

Post a Comment