Saturday, July 23, 2011

biggest screen

So I decided I needed to take advantage of the the few really big screens they have here at Kala.Wyatt thinks the best art is the biggest art. He is always encouraging me to make bigger stuff. So I went to blick and bought 3 sheets of the biggest printmaking paper they had in stock. Riding around on the bus at 5pm with this paper was not calculated into the plan.  It measures about 50 by 38 inches.

I then had to figure out what the largest image/screen combo really was possible.  The largest squeegee and scoop coater is 28 inches so that limits the image in one direction. I had to use the counter-weighted arm to print with this size of tool. I have never used an arm to print with so that was pretty cool. Then I had to find a screen and check for holes and see if it fit onto the washing booth. This one has a hole in one end and just barely fit into the booth. I also had to see if it fit into the exposure unit and and if there was plexi big enough to cover the image. So I am about 5 inches taller than this screen and my arms hurt today from all the lifting. An assistant would have been ideal for this print. It took about 4-5 hours to draw the stencil. The paper is twice a big as the image so I printed it from either end. I want to print several more layers as soon as my body recovers. I monoprinted the image painting the ink directly on the screen and then filling with another color. This was labor intensive but I like the results. Forgot to take a picture of the print.
screen in washout booth



the setup screen

No comments:

Post a Comment